Men’s Ministry aims to help men to be godly agents of influence and encourage them as they strive to be the spiritual leaders in their families. We are currently building a base of active men through regular involvement in a variety of focused activities. Times of Prayer, Bible Study, Service, Special Events, and Small Groups are all planned with the expectation that relationships will form that will help men to become stronger disciples of Jesus Christ.
If you made improving your Service to Others a priority for 2007, one such activity that is coming up is the Baptist Builders Project in July (details below). There is an important informational dinner for the Project planned for Thursday, April 17, from 6:30-8:30 pm. Please attend if you are considering participating this year. Please be reminded that our church will not be carrying out the typical LaGrange Missions Project this year.
2 Corinthians 9:11-12
You will be enriched in every way for all your generosity, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.
Another opportunity to serve is coming up soon on April 5 th. Landscaping and grounds clean-up will take place at the church property starting at 6:30 pm. Bring your gloves, shovels, rakes and wheelbarrows!
Upcoming Events (bold means more details are shown below)
· April 7 – Saturday Breakfast & Bible Study: 8:00-9:00 a.m., LBC Fellowship Hall
· April 17 – Baptist Builders Banquet: 6:30-8:30 p.m., LBC Fellowship Hall
· May 18-19 – Canoe Trip on the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River
· July 7–13 – Baptist Builders Service Project, West Liberty, KY
· Sept 6-7-8 – White Water Rafting down the Gauley River in West Virginia
· Ongoing – Thursday Morning Prayer Time: 6:30-7:00 a.m. every Thursday morning in Tony Rose’s LBC Office
· Ongoing – Pastor’s Support Prayer Time: 8:30-9:00 a.m. every Sunday morning in Tony Rose’s LBC Office
* Baptist Builders are going to West Liberty (near Morehead), KY, from July 7-13, to frame a 4,000 square foot educational-fellowship hall annex for the New Hope Baptist Church. An informational dinner will be held on April 17 at 6:30 pm for all those interested in participating in this project. You do not have to stay the entire time if you only have 2-3 days to give.
* Saturday Breakfast & Bible Study
If you made improving your Bible Study a priority for 2007, we suggest attending the monthly Saturday Breakfast & Bible Study. The first Saturday of every month men meet in the Fellowship Hall from 8-9 a.m. for Bible study, breakfast and fellowship. Typically we hear inspiring lessons from staff and elders to help us become godlier in our walk. Capitalize on the opportunity to invite a friend and be sure to bring your Bible!
* Canoe Trip
On May 18-19, we will be canoeing the Big South Fork middle section from Station Camp to Blue Heron Mine – a 19 mile trip with a lot of class II water. Cost will be $49 per person plus food costs. See Mark Roberts for more details.
* White Water Rafting
On Sept 6-8, we are rafting the upper/middle/lower Gauley River in West Virginia. This has a lot of class V rapids. It is ranked the best rafting in the US – east of Colorado and in the top 5 in the world! More details to come.
* Thursday Morning Prayer Time
Guys get together every Thursday morning for prayer in Pastor Tony’s office at the LBC building. This prayer time is open to every man in the church. It starts at roughly 6:30 am and ends no later than 7:10 am so you can get on your way to work.
* Pastor Support Prayer Time
This prayer time from 8:30-9:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings is intended to specifically encourage the speaking pastor for the day as well as to pray for God’s intervention in the hearts of those at the worship service. If you’re interested in joining, just speak to Pastor Tony.
* Repair Days Service Opportunity
Every other month on the first Saturday, we will have a Repair Day immediately following the Breakfast. Repair Days for 2007 started again in February. Work done has consisted of a number of various repair options, such as: 1) home repairs in the community, 2) repairs to the LBC building and property or 3) winterizing cars for church members in need. See Rick Davidson of the church office (222-9306) for more details.
* Small Groups
If you made Building Relationships with other Christian men a priority in 2007, try joining a Men’s Small Group. Small Groups have the goal of providing men an opportunity to learn and grow as Christians and several men are getting together with each other at various times for study, prayer, fellowship and accountability. If you need brotherly interaction in your life, don’t wait! Initiate getting together with some other guys and watch how God uses it to strengthen your life. If you need help finding a group that fits your schedule, contact us.
The races have been run.
The smoke has cleared.
The winners have been announced.
Click the image to the left to see the entire photo album.
Message Delivered at the Men’s Breakfast & Bible Study, Sat, Feb. 3, 2007
Since Valentine’s Day is coming up soon I’ve been thinking more about my wife and how I want to grow in my love for her. My desire is to be a man who loves his wife like Christ loves the church. And my prayer is that our church would be filled with men who radically love their wives this way, and in so doing point people to Christ.
Let’s look at the Scriptures to see how Christ loves us and how we ought to then love our wives.
Read Ephesians 5:25-33
- Focus on v. 29 … “nourishes it and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church”
- Nourish – to provide food, to bring up to maturity -Eph. 6:4
How does Christ nourish me?
- He gives me himself and everything I need daily – Rom. 8:32
- He feeds me and satisfies me completely – John 6:35, Isa. 55:1-3, Luke 4:4
- He brings me up to maturity and makes me holy – Col. 1:22, 28; Eph. 1:4
- He keeps me for eternity – 1 Pet. 1:3-4, Phil. 1:6, Jude 24-25
Cherish – to warm or soften; like a bird sitting on a nest providing safety and security
How does Christ cherish me?
- His love gives me security and safety – Rom. 8:35-39
- He accepts me fully – Eph. 1:4, Rom. 8:31
- He runs after me compassionately forgiving me quickly – Luke 15 (Prodigal Son)
- He pursues me with his mercy – Lam. 3:22-23, Psalm 23:6
How can I nourish my wife? (Lead like a Shepherd)
- Be an example and lead her tenderly
- Pray for her and with her daily
- Read God’s Word together and do devotions regularly
Specific thing you can do: Read “A Gospel Primer” together as devotions. Download it here
How can I cherish my wife? (Love like the Savior)
- Take initiative and pursue her passionately
- Seek to understand her needs thoroughly
- Provide a place of safety and security emotionally
* Specific thing you can do: Plan Valentine’s Day & beyond (Look below for ideas)
7 Ways to Kindle Romance
- Date Night – take initiative & plan, don’t just relax but relate
- Phone Calls – call her at least once a day
- Notes, Cards, Letters – little notes go a long way
- Gifts – Do you know what she likes?
- Music/Poetry – not for everyone!
- Getaways – save your $$ for unhurried, undistracted time
- Surprises – think of what would surprise her, be creative
Taken from Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God by C.J. Mahaney, pgs. 37-45.
Learning with you what it means to love our wives like Christ loves us,