Nourish and Cherish
Message Delivered at the Men’s Breakfast & Bible Study, Sat, Feb. 3, 2007
Since Valentine’s Day is coming up soon I’ve been thinking more about my wife and how I want to grow in my love for her. My desire is to be a man who loves his wife like Christ loves the church. And my prayer is that our church would be filled with men who radically love their wives this way, and in so doing point people to Christ.
Let’s look at the Scriptures to see how Christ loves us and how we ought to then love our wives.
Read Ephesians 5:25-33
- Focus on v. 29 … “nourishes it and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church”
- Nourish – to provide food, to bring up to maturity -Eph. 6:4
How does Christ nourish me?
- He gives me himself and everything I need daily – Rom. 8:32
- He feeds me and satisfies me completely – John 6:35, Isa. 55:1-3, Luke 4:4
- He brings me up to maturity and makes me holy – Col. 1:22, 28; Eph. 1:4
- He keeps me for eternity – 1 Pet. 1:3-4, Phil. 1:6, Jude 24-25
Cherish – to warm or soften; like a bird sitting on a nest providing safety and security
How does Christ cherish me?
- His love gives me security and safety – Rom. 8:35-39
- He accepts me fully – Eph. 1:4, Rom. 8:31
- He runs after me compassionately forgiving me quickly – Luke 15 (Prodigal Son)
- He pursues me with his mercy – Lam. 3:22-23, Psalm 23:6
How can I nourish my wife? (Lead like a Shepherd)
- Be an example and lead her tenderly
- Pray for her and with her daily
- Read God’s Word together and do devotions regularly
Specific thing you can do: Read “A Gospel Primer” together as devotions. Download it here
How can I cherish my wife? (Love like the Savior)
- Take initiative and pursue her passionately
- Seek to understand her needs thoroughly
- Provide a place of safety and security emotionally
* Specific thing you can do: Plan Valentine’s Day & beyond (Look below for ideas)
7 Ways to Kindle Romance
- Date Night – take initiative & plan, don’t just relax but relate
- Phone Calls – call her at least once a day
- Notes, Cards, Letters – little notes go a long way
- Gifts – Do you know what she likes?
- Music/Poetry – not for everyone!
- Getaways – save your $$ for unhurried, undistracted time
- Surprises – think of what would surprise her, be creative
Taken from Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God by C.J. Mahaney, pgs. 37-45.
Learning with you what it means to love our wives like Christ loves us,